I was at a friends house recently where she treated me to the most divine hot chocolate, made with homemade cashew date milk. Oh my word! Heavenly.
I believe that she’d intended to make it with almonds, although since she hadn’t had time to soak them in advance, she opted for cashews instead. It reminded how rich, creamy and delectable homemade milk with cashews is. I thought it was essential to share here at in the Kind Earth Kitchen this week since I’ve been enjoying it so much lately.
I’ve created a super quick video for you to show you how simple and easy this is, so be sure to scroll down and check that out too.
This recipe involved three ingredients plus water. We’re talking cashews, dates, and vanilla. That’s it!
If you have a high powered blender, you can even get away without soaking the cashews and dates. I do however prefer to soak them for three hours (or overnight) ahead of time since my blender isn’t particularly powerful.
It’s ridiculously simple to make this plant milk. After soaking and straining, then all you need do is add the water, blend for about 90 seconds and wowzers, you’ve got the creamiest, most delicious plant-based milk ever!
This serves beautifully on granola or with muesli. You can also use it in place of regular animal-based milk in beverages. Makes excellent milk for hot chocolate or chai latte. Oh goodness me… yes!
One of my favourite ways to enjoy it is to sip it all day long straight out of the fridge. Be warned though it is very moreish.
Quite filling too.
Furthermore, I thought you might like to know that cashews have some well-documented health benefits. I’ve heard that they are a very good source of magnesium. Magnesium is essential for hormone balance and is great to help regulate our mood. It is also important for healthy development of bones, muscles, and organs and blood sugar regulation.
Like all nuts and seeds, cashews are a bit of a nutritional powerhouse since they are full of protein, essential fats and vitamins. As well as their excellent levels of magnesium, they also are said to contain good levels of calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, copper and potassium – all essential for healthy functioning of the body.
Watch my quick video guide to show you how easy this is to make…
- 100g cashew nuts ( 3/4 cup)
- 50g pitted dates (8 to 10 dates)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500ml water (2 cups)
- Extra water for pre-soaking
- Soak the cashew nuts and dates in spring water for at least three hours to soften for blending (you can actually skip this step if you have a high powered blender).
- Drain off the water.
- Pop the cashews and dates into a blender.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the 500ml of water.
- Blend for about 90 seconds, until everything has blended in nicely. There may be a small amount of sediment, which you can strain off with a nut bag or fine sieve, although it is usually minimal, so I just leave it.
- Pour into a glass container and enjoy immediately or put in the fridge to chill before serving.
Pint for later…