One of the most powerful things I have found to boost my immune system when it is running low, is to drink fresh immune-boosting juice.
Juicing is powerful! There are few things in life that give you such a rapid infusion of nutrients. I often hear people telling me that they’d love to get into juicing, but they don’t have enough time or the right equipment. If you are interested in health then the benefits of juicing means that it really deserves to find its way into our rhythm of life.
I’ve found that drinking fresh vegetable juice actually frees up energy, can heal illness, makes me feel alive and vibrant and gives me more time to do the things I love!
Juice allows incredibly rapid absorption of nutrients into your system. The juicer has essentially pre-digested the foods for you already, saving the body a lot of energy having to chow it all down. So you don’t need to spend extra energy breaking down and extracting the goodness from the food once it is in your digestive system. This is especially useful if your energy levels are low and you need a quick pick me up or immune system top-up.
Do you need a juicer to make juice?
Yes, you do. Surprisingly I get asked this question a lot. If you have a high powered blender then you can use that to create a smoothie with the same sort of ingredients. However, it will probably be quite fibrous (and I don’t particularly enjoy that texture). You can buy fancy, more powerful juicers or inexpensive ones. I would recommend somewhere in the middle. The cheapest juicers tend to be a bit aggressive and create quite a lot more waste pulp. The more expensive you get, the more you tend to get out of your juice.
I’ll write more about all the different types of juicer in another article, so please stay tuned for that.
What is in this delicious immune-boosting juice?
In today’s recipe, I am using carrots, celery, apple, ginger, and lemon. This creates a nice balance of different flavours and makes the juice incredibly delicious to taste.
Ginger has exceptional antioxidant properties. It is loaded with them. In addition, it is also excellent for nausea, digestive issues, inflammation, circulation and a whole host of other things. It plays an excellent role in this juice not only for these health-giving reasons, but it also adds a delightful peppery, zinginess to the blend. You can read more about the incredible health benefits of ginger here: 10 Reasons Why Ginger Is So Good For Us
Carrots are often overlooked as a powerful health food because they are so common. They are an antioxidant superstar, helping to provide a super protective, antioxidant boost in this juice. Read more about the health benefits of carrots here: The Health Benefits of Carrots
Celery is something I think we all know is healthy, but do we know why? Celery is good for helping to lower blood pressure, whilst offering handy anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, heart-healthy properties. It adds nicely to a juice, balancing out the flavours.
Lemon & Apple both also have immune-boosting and health-supporting properties. I like to add them to create a delightful dance of flavour too.
So let’s get this juice happening and love ourselves beautiful!
Enjoy, from my heart to yours
- 4 large carrots
- 7 large celery stalks
- 2 large apples
- 1 inch cubed ginger
- 1 small lemon
- Be sure to use organic ingredients.
- No peeling of the carrots required. Just cut off the ends.
- Chop the carrot, celery, and apple into sizes that will go nicely through your juicer.
- Chop the ginger into small pieces (no peeling needed).
- Slice off the skin of the lemon and chop into four pieces (or whatever fits best into your juicer). Don't leave the yellow peel on as it will make the juice 'too lemony'.
- Put everything through the juicer. You might like to mix hard ingredients (i.e. carrot) with softer ones (i.e. apple) as you push through, to help the process (this also depends on your juicer). I find it helpful to put the lemon through last, which helps to clear out any resistant bits as they pass through.
- Drink immediately or within the next few hours. It does keep in the fridge for a day, but be sure to put into a sealed glass jar or bottle.
- Enjoy and let the ripples spread outwards!
Pin Immune boosting juice for later…