This isn’t just any old high protein treat, it’s a superfood extravaganza – high in essential fats and antioxidants. In fact, these raw power protein balls are so insanely healthy, I have to pinch myself when that decadent flavour hits my palate!
I am a big fan of foods that not only infuse my body with an abundance of nutritional goodness but taste good too.
Our modern world has been polluted with so many unhealthy, addictive foods to allure and diminish our health. But since you are reading this I am guessing you are wanting to turn the tables and reclaim your health with super healthy food choices. So let’s go and show the world how delicious healthy food can be!
What’s in these Raw Power Protein Balls?
Before we delve into the recipe below, let’s look at what all the fuss is about and explore what’s in these superfood protein balls…
Hemp protein powder:
This nutty protein powder is one of the most complete proteins in the plant food kingdom, containing ALL 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids required for health. Hemp protein powder is a protein superstar, whilst also helping to bind these delicious treats together.
Check out my article for lots more about the incredible hemp seed benefits: Why are hemp seeds essential for health?
Where to buy hemp protein online?
USA: Hemp protein powder USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Hemp Protein Powder
UK: Hemp protein powder UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Hemp Protein Powder
Other ingredients in these raw power protein balls
Flaxseeds are an excellent source of omega 3 essential fats (omega 3 has been shown to have healthy heart benefits). They also contain up to a whopping 800 times more lignans than other plant foods. Lignans are not only known for their antioxidant properties, but they also have powerful estrogen qualities, making them very supportive for hormone health.
Chia is one of the richest plant-based sources of essential fats. These little seed are a high-quality protein food and loaded with antioxidants. Chia seeds are one of my favourite seeds and work as a warmly welcomed bonus to this recipe.
With an impressive line of up minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, almonds also come as a desirable addition to this medley of superfoods. They have a pleasant, nutty sweetness that works well here. I recommend that you use freshly ground almonds to help to retain their awesome nutritional profile, whilst helping to hold all of the ingredients together.
Chock-full of antioxidants, healthy fats, protein, polyphenols, minerals and vitamins, cocoa brings yet another incredible line up of superfood nutrition to these protein balls.
The theobromine in cacao helps to stimulate the central nervous system, relax smooth muscles and dilate the blood vessels. Chemicals naturally present also encourage serotonin and other neurotransmitters that help inspire a good-mood and relieve depression.
Cacao (which is the raw form of cocoa) contains various components like alkaloids, proteins, beta-carotene, leucine, linoleic, lipase, lysine, and theobromine. These components all work together to improve physical and mental health.
Maple syprups is a natural, unrefined sweetener, much healthier than its distant, refined sugar cousins. It is used here to bring all the ingredients together with a gentle infusion of sweetness. This can be changed to your favourite healthy syrup sweetener if preferred.
I’ve added the smallest amount of quality vanilla extract into the blend to add a little necessary liquid. This brings a subtle treat like flavour at the same time.
- Grind almond and flaxseeds with a nut mill or high powdered food processor (or alternatively if you don't have a grinder you can purchase pre-ground versions).
- Add all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and then mix together thoroughly using the back of a spoon and a downward pressing motion. Keep pressing and mixing until everything is moist and evenly combined. This may take a minute or two, so do stay with it.
- Divide into seven teaspoon sized parts and roll into balls (either with or without the extra ground almonds to roll in as preferred).
- Pop in the fridge or enjoy immediately any time of the day.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Hemp Protein Powder (50% Protein), 1 Pound
- USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Cacao Powder, 1 Pound
- USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Black Chia Seeds, 2.5 Pounds
- UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Hemp Protein Powder 1kg
- UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Cacao/Cocoa Powder 500g
- UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Chia Seeds 1kg
For another great way to use hemp protein powder check out this delicious smoothie recipe:
If you prefer shelled hemp seeds instead of the powder, then you will love this recipe here:
Other interesting articles and recipes…