Oh my goodness, this is delicious! I’ve made so many different versions of this soup, it is perhaps the one thing I eat more than anything else, whether home or away. Today I am sharing my vegan sweet potato lentil soup.
It’s a thick and satisfying meal-in-itself. Not only that, it’s quick to make and so delectably delicious it makes me melt with delight.
Each ingredient enhances and brings out the best in the others. With a gorgeous medley of flavours, texture, protein, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats it is out-of-this-world awesome!
You are gonna love it.
The star of the show in this recipe – sweet potato! A sweet tasting, starchy vegetable that works perfectly in soups and stews. Botanically speaking, sweet potatoes are related to the morning glory family and have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the ‘regular’ potato family (which is related to the nightshade family).
They are loaded with nutrients, with an impressive line up of minerals like iron & calcium and are a great source of B vitamins and vitamin C.
I particularly like that they are well known for their excellent beta-carotene content. Beta-carotene happens to be a powerful anti-oxidant that turns to vitamin A.
One of my favourite ‘can’t live without’ ingredients in this is coconut.
I am using it in the form of creamed coconut. Highly recommend. If you want to find out what creamed coconut is (and where to get it), check out my page here: What is Creamed Coconut Note: If you don’t have creamed coconut available to you right now, then you can easily substitute in this recipe for coconut cream.
Anyway let’s dive right in! To help you out I have made a quick video demo so you can see exactly how I make this soup, please do check this out first…
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 small cauliflower
- 4 brown mushrooms
- 75g (½ cup) red lentils
- 75g (⅓ block) creamed coconut
- 500ml (2 cups) water (plus more if desired)
- 500ml (2 cups) passata
- 1 heaped teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Chop sweet potato into small cubes.
- Chop cauliflower and mushrooms into pieces.
- Chop coconut block into small pieces.
- Peel and finely grate ginger.
- Add all ingredients to a pan. Bring to the boil and allow to cook for about 20 minutes (until the lentils are cooked and you can easily piece the sweet potato with a fork). Stir every now and again and add more water if desired.
Pin Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Lentil Soup on your pinterest board…