Oh yes – the Raw Hemp Energy Balls are here!
Hemp is one of natures finest superfoods. I am not talking about the stuff that gets you high. I am talking about the hempseed that is available in any good health food store; the tiny, nutty, seed that has the perfect balance of omega 3 and omega 6 essential fats; the delicious little gem that is jam packed with antioxidants and other nutrients; the complete protein filled treasure trove of goodness.
Hemp well and truly deserves a place right up at the top of any discerning health-seekers daily food list.
Hemp is one of the most complete proteins in the plant food kingdom, containing ALL 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids required for health.
A protein superstar.
Check out my article for lots more about the incredible hemp seed benefits:
Why are hemp seeds essential for health?
Other superstar ingredients in this recipe:
Raw Cacao: chock-full of antioxidants, healthy fats, protein, polyphenols, minerals and vitamins, cocoa brings yet another incredible line up of super-food nutrition to these protein balls.
The theobromine in cacao helps to stimulate the central nervous system, relax smooth muscles and dilate the blood vessels. Chemicals naturally present also encourage serotonin and other neurotransmitters that help inspire a good-mood and relieve depression.
Cacao (which is the raw form of cocoa) contains various components like alkaloids, proteins, beta-carotene, leucine, linoleic, lipase, lysine, and theobromine, that all work together to improve physical and mental health.
Almonds: with an impressive line of up minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, almonds also come as a desirable addition to this medley of super-foods.
They have a pleasant, nutty sweetness that works well here. I use freshly ground almonds, which helps to retain their awesome nutritional profile, whilst helping to hold all of the ingredients together.
Sun-dried Dates make the perfect sweetener, providing an infinitely better alternative to regular refined sugar. They are also jam-packed full of beneficial vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
The dates also act as an fantastic binder in this recipe.
Please check out my SUPER Quick recipe guide here…
- 1 cup sun-dried dates
- 3 tablespoons shelled hemp seed
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- Desicatted coconut to roll
***Scroll up and check out my 60 second video for super-quick and easy instructions.
- Soak the dates for about an hour (unless already soft enough to blend).
- Blend the dates, hemp seeds and vanilla with a hand blender.
- Add the ground almonds, cinnamon and cacao powder and mix by hand using a downward pressing motion with the back of a metal spoon.
- Take heaped teaspoon sized dollops and roll into balls using desiccated coconut (see quick video above for this method).
- Chill and serve.
- They keep for a few days in an air tight container in the fridge.
- USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Hulled Hemp Seeds (Organic), 16 Ounce
- USA: Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Cacao Powder, 1 Pound
- UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds, European 500g
- UK: Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Raw Cacao/Cocoa Powder 1kg
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.